« Home | The Infamous First Post »

Oregon and Bust

Naturally, I'm quite capable of writing a thousand words on the subject of my Oregon trip, but I've been told a picture will do the same work. So here are a few, with context. When I arrived, Melinda met me at the airport, a lovely airport by the way, though we only had a couple hours before her own plane was to leave. Image hosted by Photobucket.com After lunch and getting Melinda back to the airport, Aunt Mary and I went along the Columbia Gorge looking at water falls. We found them. We saw them from the front: Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com From the rear: Image hosted by Photobucket.com And from above: Image hosted by Photobucket.com Then the next day, after a few rounds of darts with Uncle Bruce, Cherilyn picked me up, took me out for pizza, to an art gallery, and eventually to meet her new boyfriend, Todd, of whom I approve, despite his name's similarity to the German word for death. Here's out little Cherilynskiego all grown up: Image hosted by Photobucket.com Unfortunately, most of the pictures of her had horrible, nightmarish red-eye. Then Sabbath after church we drove down the coast to Newport, stopping along the way. We got to see the replica of the fort Lewis and Clark spent a miserable winter in. Image hosted by Photobucket.com And got a hug from Sacagawea. Image hosted by Photobucket.com Then we went to the coast, where we saw whales, which you can't actually see in this picture, but believe me, they were there. I think they were Gray Whales. Image hosted by Photobucket.com And here's Aunt Mary whale watching. Image hosted by Photobucket.com The sunset was almost as lovely as on the prairie. Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com After the night in Newport, we went to the beach in the morning near low tide. The tide pools had beautiful creatures, mysterious monsters for those of us who spend out lives in the middle of the continent. Starfish Image hosted by Photobucket.com Anenomes Image hosted by Photobucket.com Chitons Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com Crabs (living crabs not pictured) Image hosted by Photobucket.com Sea urchins Image hosted by Photobucket.com Harlequin Ducks Image hosted by Photobucket.com Oyster Catchers Image hosted by Photobucket.com Harbor Seals Image hosted by Photobucket.com Relatives Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com and me. Image hosted by Photobucket.com Later, we went to the bay at Newport where the Steller's Sea Lions were making a racket. Image hosted by Photobucket.com And some Common Loons were acting surprisingly friendly. Image hosted by Photobucket.com There were also some shorebirds I haven't identified yet flocked around a fishy-smelling place. Image hosted by Photobucket.com We had also stopped at a completely different sort of beach, one of those broad, sandy ones. We found a lot of broken shells, but no agates (it was called "Agate Beach"). We found the remains of Sand Dollars, but actually none of them where whole, so we called them Sand 50 cent peices. Such is life. Here's Aunt Mary collecting them. Image hosted by Photobucket.com That concludes the photo essay for now. Melinda gets back tonight, so we'll be seeing more of her soon. Oh, and if anyone really, desperately needs larger versions of the pictures, they can e-mail me. Most of them are automatically resized by photobucket, my picture hosting service.

About me

  • I'm Scott
  • From Lincoln, Nebraska, United States
  • Busily carving a niche somewhere between angels and apes since 1979.
My profile

Previous posts


    "... if you're not on videotape, or better yet, live on satellite hookup in front of the whole world watching, you don't exist. You're that tree falling in the forest that nobody gives a rat's ass about" (Palahnuik, Chuck. Survivor). This is my performative culture; I am your dancing monkey.