« Home | Nerdalism » | Tele makes me tubby. » | I've got a question for ya'll: does the Bible supp... » | I haven't updated for an unconscionable period. » | Representations of Adventists » | Smith, Rad. Distant Early Warnings. » | The Nut Case » | Lakoff, Robin. "The Language War." » | Birthday Bunco » | Myspace, Schmyspace »

Scott for the visually impaired.

Normally, I try to tailor classes to the needs of the students. At least that's what I tell myself. For instance, I only give quizzes when I'm not sure if people are really getting things or not. And the tests and homework tend to focus more on "problem areas" than surveying everything we studied. Likewise, when I make the questions and sample sentences, I like to include the names of my students. It's a pleasant way to integrate them into the materials and usually results in a few snickers during the otherwise somber and stressful testing situation. Like I said, tailored. This also means I don't know at the beginning of the semester what quizzes I'll be giving and when and they certainly aren't pre-made. So far, it's never been an issue. Until now. I got an e-mail yesterday from my boss at SeCC. Next semester I'll have a visually impaired student in my class. They have already converted his text book into an audio book and he has a tutor to assist him. They just need me to give them every quiz and test that I plan on administering for the entire semester and they need it NOW. Oh crap. I can easily just give them the materials I used this semester, but I don't think that's as good a deal for the other students. Besides which, I have no idea how I'll need to change my pedagogy to deal with a visually impaired student, this will be my first time. Maybe some of my TLC and Christian Records peeps can give me a shout-out. (Sorry, I'm trying to be more accepting of non-"standard" English, which means using it on occaision. Clearly it isn't working.) Anyway, now I have that, on top of my final projects, to add to the procrastination list. In other news, I've been trying to get my syllabus in order for ENGL 112 at Union next semester. Since most of my loyal readers have taken College Writing 2 at Union, and, if not, at a similar institution, what can you tell me should definately be included? What are the things you liked the most? What things did you hate? What things have you actually used? Since the focus is on writing research papers, I've included several assignments of the sort I wish I'd had, but as we can clearly see from my previous post, I may not be . . . er . . . representative.

I subbed a lecture for another instructor a few weeks ago, and she has a hearing-impaired student. That meant I wore a microphone, and someone in Cleveland transcribed everything I said, returning it to the student's laptop screen in near-real time. It was a little freaky.

If you need anything specific (sympathy included), let me know. I'm not sure if your student is totally or legally blind. If you need anything brailled, we have a special printer which translates text into braille. Also, if you're generating materials in large print, I recommend 20 or 22 point san serif, possibly bold. It's all the rage with our clients. Legally large print is required to be at least 14 point, I believe, though that is hardly large enough for most people who need it. The extent of your student's visual impairment will make all the difference.

The best English papers I had to write were for Laurel, when I took her ESL class at Union. The weekly journal was great for therapy, but just to make me write. The other thing I liked was when she would make me write an in class paper on a topic I did not agree with. It stretched my brain a bit, and forced me to write in different styles.

The research papers in my ENGL 100 classes were pointless (they weren't long enough to require any actual work, I can BS 10 pages), but learning how to cite internet sources helped me out later on.

Oh, I really hated having to do a rough draft and note cards on my early research papers. I write the best papers the night before they are due, and forcing an early paper hinders the creative process.

I really didn't like that I only learned APA style during ENGL 112. Because after that class, I had to learn MLA on my own because all my classes required it. I think a 112 class should expose students to all styles, but at least both MLA and APA. I'm jealous that you are teaching a class at Union! That's an honor I would love to have.

Don't force a position paper on them. Blake had the "Honors Comp" class and we had to combine our research paper with our persuasive paper or something like that. Personally I would have wanted a grammar minute that highlighted pitfalls of writing grammar. Oh well.

Easy points would be nice too. It softens the blow of a bad paper.

They can't see or speak English? How on earth did you get Helenita Kellvarez?

Never once in college did I have to use APA for anything.

And mostly I'm alright with that. I don't like APA. I don't need it. (Though not as much as I don't like or need Chicago.) But I do see adequate good in having a working knowledge of both MLA and APA (rarely ever Chicago.)


I would suggest that the students should use either MLA or APA for their research paper, depending on which discipline they're going into.


In addition, there should be a few assignments that require the students to find sources for specific topics and make citations pages in both APA and MLA.

Also, it'd be nice if a ENGL 112 class had an open mind and provided practical application about the relationship between research and creative writing. I've always known that research writing doesn't have to be cookie-cutter boring, but mostly I decided and applied this for myself. I also think a discussion of rhetoric would be beneficial for the class. As would explicating a poem. (Mostly I don't actually know what goes on in ENGL 112. My comp experience was Blake's medley. Consequently, all comp related memories for me are quite blurry.)

As for your shout out for help from the peeps . . . Why do they need the tests and quizzes NOW? I don't understand. I can't come up with a reason why they wouldn't be able to provide accommodations for this student on a week by week basis. ALL the tests and quizzes are not needed NOW. They're just going to be sitting waiting somewhere. Yes, it takes a while to convert text into audio books. But these aren't books! These are just a few pages each (I'm assuming). It's very simple, really. And, if you as the instructor of the class would be willing, you could just read the tests and quizes onto a tape for the student whenever the need should arise. That way they wouldn't need to worry at all about having the tests and quizzes. But even that shouldn't be necessary. They should have equipment that should be able to do it week by week.

We would never get away with requiring that we have ALL of the tests and quizzes at Union. Well, I guess we could require it, but it wouldn't happen.

Okay, that's enough of me blabbering. Especially since I don't really know ALL that much about what I'm talking about and because this comment is longer than some blog posts.

What fun Scott! I taught 7th and 8th research writing last year (1 semester each). We learned both MLA and APA. I wrote both types in college--it simply depends on the area of study. Your going to have a great time with it. I'd say one of the most important things is to explain why a method is used. Why the outline? Why the concept map? Why the note cards in a certain orientation. Oh and study trends in plagerization (with the class that is). It's better to study the ethic and problem resulting than just to make a statement about it and how it's not acceptable. I taught my kids "how to cheat" so that they know what not to do.

The blind student is going to be a kick. You won't have much trouble over the quiz/test dilemma you already mentioned.

Don't freak out about the disabled person in your classroom. They usually are used to adapting already and so you just have to find out what they need. As Ben said I think all the quizzes ahead of time is great if you are a cookie cutting teacher, which you are not, then you would have them, but there seems to be no reason to have all them. Your teaching allows for change for all the students and way to be aware of not discriminating the other students as well as yourself because the other person needs assistance. Anyway, I am sure it will all work out and you do need to have extra effort to accomodate this student's learning, but don't freak. The student might not think it is a big deal at all often it is someone else that is all whacky trying ot help like the person can't do anyting. Anyway, that is my 41 cents. =) If you want and help or as Cassie said, sympathy let me know.

ps. verification letters are talking to me. QWKPUSH okay I am hitting the button now!

Interestingly enough, I've always assumed quizzes were more of passive agressive play by professors. I vote that you don't do quizzes, they don't make students study harder, they make them panic.

Post a Comment