« Home | I've got a question for ya'll: does the Bible supp... » | I haven't updated for an unconscionable period. » | Representations of Adventists » | Smith, Rad. Distant Early Warnings. » | The Nut Case » | Lakoff, Robin. "The Language War." » | Birthday Bunco » | Myspace, Schmyspace » | Hit refresh. » | New Template! »

Tele makes me tubby.

If you haven't seen The Boondocks, you should. I read the comic strips a bit a few years ago, but the anime version one can see on Cartoon Network is amazingly good. Social commentary, common sense, and humor. It plays off the totalization and essentialization of race and embraces it just enough to subvert it. Unfortunately, it tends to be shown only at the most inconvenient times, but those with a DV-R or a little know-how can watch it when you please. There's only been four episodes so far, so it's easy to catch up. Besides that, I've been procrastinating with Veronica Mars. I enjoy the show. Angie introduced it to me last week and has sworn me to watch the episodes in order and keep her filled in on my interactions with the show. If only I were in a cultural critisism class so I could use the TV shows as a text for study. What I should be doing is working on a lesson plan for using ballet as a way of looking at sexuality and gender construction during the 19th century, my poetry portfolio, and my final paper for linguistics. But I just like TV more.