« Home | Positively Williams » | "The Good Old Days" or "Stupid Modern English" » | Andrea's in a magazine. It's nothing that you can'... » | I just posted, but I also happen to think at least... » | Class and Coupling » | Unasking a Divide » | Fotki » | A Metablog Post » | Meat substitute teacher » | Poèmes du Jour »

Shedding Leaves and Hair

Take a gander at my new gallery. I wish you could see the RAW format versions of the pictures, they look much better than the JPGs, but unfortunately, they are around 10 meg each and not viewable through a web browser. So, we'll have to settle for lossy compression schemes. The gallery begins with Thursday night. Between class, the poetry reading, and making copies for my presentation, I was on or around campus from 12:30 til 9:30. And I'd brought my camera. Naturally I was busy, so it wasn't like I was shooting all day, but I did come up with a couple good ones. One is of a fall tree at night that looks beautifully orange, much more beautiful than during the daytime. Why? Because of the neon glow of the Nebraska Bookstore sign. The only problem is that I seem to get Parkinson's disease whenever there's a camera in my hands. Later I was fascinated by the public discourse written on the bathroom stall in the library. Someday, when I'm more adventurous, perhaps I'll compare men's and women's bathroom graffiti. To tell you the truth, one of the things written on the stall door may have been added by myself (one could say the damage had already been done). You can guess which comment. The final photos of the night were of the exterior of Love Library, my on-campus haunt. That brings us to Friday. Serhiy and I went to our friendly neighborhood College of Hair Design for to get new 'dos. Now, this is something his Mom has been begging him to do for a while. I don't think he got it cut as short as she'd like, but it is shorter. When he asked how it looks, I answered that he looks like a woman. I brought along a camera and got some pictures of the foliage (because I want to be like Ceri and Ellen) and also of the haircutting process. Afterwards, we went to Bison Witches for their a half-sandwich and soup each. Their veggie sandwich is so good I hypothesize it includes crack (thank you, Pauline for the expression). Anyway, there is a smashing sequence of me attacking the remains of my bread bowl. I think the violence of it makes me look manly. One last thing before I bid you "ado." I've been trying to convert my church art, aka doodles done to keep myself attentive, to a digital medium. So, I scanned some with rather mixed results. A line that looks acceptable on paper is rather crooked and unfulfilling when blown up on the screen. Maybe my Parkinson's isn't only camera activated. I've tried various methods to deal with the noise and such, but short of retracing everything in Photoshop, I'm not sure how to make them look decent for digital exhibition. Anyway, here's one that I've touched up a bit (but not excessively and without spending too much time on it). If anyone has a quick fix recommendation, please tell me.


I like the church art. The more you post, the happier I am.

Your pictures make me miss Lincoln (even if I maintain that Ohio has better fall colors!). Is that new coffeehouse where the downtown Homer's used to be?

I love your church art. I still have a half-sheet that you covered for me once, and I take it everywhere I go. It hung above my desk in Korea, with the caption "Mr. Green loves grass." Just because.

I think the scanning of the church art looks mighty good. The lines don't look crooked. They look artsy. What more do you want, Scott?

Wish you would finish the church art in my Bible. I think what you have here looks fine, even great. If I said anything else, what kind of a Mom would I be.

Given the low number of colors in the images, saving your images as PNG may provide comparable compression, and better image quality. It's not a lossy format, and is supported in all recent browsers.

Ted, I have them archived as .png at full size (in the case of the two most recently posted, 6800x4386), but I'm posting the smaller, compressed versions out of consideration for bandwidth.

My issue with it is that I like smooth lines and try to use them, but when I scan it and edit it, I can see how jagged they actually are. The versions posted here all have had noise reduction and some paintbrush editing done to them. A lot of this is just to remove noise or white space within lines that shouldn't be there. When I think of how much work it would take to make all the lines smooth, even when viewed at the large size. I used a pen, but I don't want pen-y work. Anyway, I think I'm getting better at it. I really like the negative effect on the snail one I last posted. Yu was actually my first one scanned and I think it has the most problems still.

Post a Comment