« Home | Two more. » | I've done nothing constructive today. » | Shedding Leaves and Hair » | Positively Williams » | "The Good Old Days" or "Stupid Modern English" » | Andrea's in a magazine. It's nothing that you can'... » | I just posted, but I also happen to think at least... » | Class and Coupling » | Unasking a Divide » | Fotki »

New Template!

I love messing around with the template. What do you think of my new one? It's based off of this one, but with rather significant modifications. It's working fine for me on my computer (tested in Opera, Firefox, and Avant), but I'm interested in how it works on other people's monitors. Also, I'm considering whether to keep the side photo in color or colorize it so it's only shades on one color (such as a deep red or an orange). Any comments are helpful, including color scheme critiques. Update: I've been trying to randomize my side image. And I can't seem to. I've used three different methods but none seem to actually work. So, if anyone has actually gotten such things to work, I'd like to know how.

I very much so like the current blue image with the orange other colors, so I would vote for leaving it as is.

As for getting randomization of pictures, I have had success in this area. However, currently I am too tired (or distracted) to want to put much energy into discussing it. So we can talk about that later. In the meantime, if anyone else has had success in this area, please feel free to share it.

Thanks for the offer Ben. I looked at your source code and couldn't figure out how in the world you managed it. BUT, I found another person who had a random background (thank goodness for google's blog search) and figured it out from there source. The problem is that I was trying to do it with PHP before and I don't think Blogger liked that. Now I just need to get more backgrounds so it seems more random.

I like this template too. I hope you are saving them so you can repost them later. The randomized pictures are working for me using firefox 1.5RC.

The only complaint I have is that page scrolls slow and sometimes loads slow. I am always on a high speed connection so I can only imagine what a dial-up connection would be like. It's the pictures I'm sure. Are they linked from outside blogger or are they just big? Maybe it's my computer.

Actually, it would be cool if you could randomize the template.

You know Bryant, the javascript in my source (at the top of [head]) places a randomized element into the style sheet. So, you could, theoretically, randomize the entire style sheet I suppose. It would take some work though and your template file would be huge because of all the style sheet commands you'd have to include.

Changing style sheets doesn't change the layout entirely, but it does make a large difference.

As for why it scrolls slowly, I have no clue. The pictures are only 278x773 and they're hosted on blogger. Perhaps it's the pictures included in the posts themselves, but that shouldn't have changed since the old template.

You know, this dark goldenrod background looks great on my laptop monitor, but there's just something off about it on the desktop . . . NO, I'm going to do homework now!

I really like the dark goldenrod. And I think the randomized pictures are a neat idea, but my computer isn't giving me a scroll button at the bottom, so I can only see a quarter inch sliver of your new awesome randomized pics.

Go you. Go creativity. Wow. I wish I knew stuff about computers.

Katie, you must have your screen resolution set to 800x600. That's normal if you have a smaller monitor (15 in). If your display is set to 1024x768 or larger, you can see the entire picture. If you want to try changing resolution, go to your desktop, right click, select "properties" from the mouse menu, go to the "settings" tab, and change the screen resolution. Otherwise, just enjoy the quarter inch.

Actually, this is why I have the links on the left instead of the right; it's better for the picture to be cut off than the links. (Do you understand that, Ellen?)

i understand that scott. i'm just saying it would look better if they were switched.

Post a Comment