« Home | Busy again. » | Transamerica » | How am I not myself? » | Goin' Mainstream » | For Katja » | Sorry I haven't updated lately, I've been busy. En... » | Scott for the visually impaired. » | Nerdalism » | Tele makes me tubby. » | I've got a question for ya'll: does the Bible supp... »

Before I even say what I have to say, let me clarify. I realize I don't have enough time or experience yet to make an accurate judgement. So, to make a rash and hasty overgeneralization, teaching ESL is more fun. Of course, that does depend on the course, I've had some ESL classes that just never worked as a group and never built a rapport. But just comparing the three classes I have now, the ESL by far has the most fun. College freshmen are still too much like high school students I think. Which isn't to say I don't enjoy the class, teaching a rough class is still way more fun than, say, washing dishes for a living. And the morning class can almost carry on a conversation. I just wish they would ask half as inciteful questions as my ESL students. For instance, tonight we were saying things we "would like" and Amir (Bosnian) asked if "I'd" is also "I had" and how to tell the difference. I really liked that question and it took us in interesting directions. Most of what I've been asked in my ENGL 112 class has been, "So what do you expect us to do for this assignment." Well, since we couldn't actually generate a working definition of plagiarism in class, not much. Anyway, Ben asked something about what if my students read my blog. Well, they are seperate worlds and it would be nice to keep them seperate, just like I'd rather not be Serhiy's teacher (ever). But when it comes down to it, it really doesn't matter. There's nothing here I wouldn't say to their faces, with perhaps a bit more qualification. It's not as if the universe will explode and be replaced with something more complicated. Ado and 42. P.S. I wrote this while watching Elizabethtown which surprisingly doesn't suck. Perhaps I'm just tired but the overearnest bits play well tonight.

Adieu to you to. And what if I were a student of yours? What then?

I would fail you immediately for cranial/duodenum inversion. You've already taken an equivalent class and I'm not being paid for remediation.

Post a Comment