« Home | Tit et Tat » | Before I even say what I have to say, let me clari... » | Busy again. » | Transamerica » | How am I not myself? » | Goin' Mainstream » | For Katja » | Sorry I haven't updated lately, I've been busy. En... » | Scott for the visually impaired. » | Nerdalism »

Catching up with the movies.

Today I watched Unconditional Love, a movie which I somehow missed three years ago. It's great, and has inspired me to campaign for Julie Andrews for Prime Minister of Great Britain. In the movie Drop Dead Gorgeous, one of the contestants says that her serial-killer mother ought to be president because, among other things, she could bring world peace with a song. Well, Julie Andrews has the chops to do just that. And while we're putting people into office, I say Kathy Bates would make quite a president. I mean, Dolores Claiborne is less scary than the current office holder. Speaking of politics, the other day I watched a documentary on Gay Republicans. Several times in the movie "gay on the street"-style interviews compared them to "Jews voting for Hitler" and "Blacks joining the KKK." Now, as a person who cannot understand why anyone, regardless of race, religion, sexuality, etc, would vote Republican, it was a particularly interesting look into the psyche of everyday sociopaths. Most of them seemed fairly lucid. They are fiscal conservatives and generally outraged by the direction towards cultural conservatism their party has taken. I can, to a degree, understand fiscal conservatives. I just can't understand why they would vote Republican. Republicans talk about reducing debt and spending cuts, but they are responsible for the current levels of the national debt. Just look at this chart. Clinton managed to get things undercontrol, then Bush II came along and has spent more than ever. It would seem to me that fiscal conservatives are in the wrong party! (Gasp! I used an exclamation point, make that two! Er . . . three. I should get off this topic before I get more worked up.) The point is, there is little excuse to vote Republican, even the richest of the rich have to be incredibly shortsighted to do it and for people shunned by the Party for being gay to vote for them takes a very special sort of masochism. In other news, one of my Bosniak students was once on his country's junior national football (read "soccer") team.

Un-be-freaking-lievable. I dislike Bush primarily because he strikes me as an illiterate, inarticulate, closed-minded and pompous war-monger, but that chart was AMAZING.

You should watch Dogville by Lars von Trier. The first half is a little slow, but it should have you fairly riled up by the end. It has a really good cast too.

Post a Comment