« Home | My newfound dislike for CRTs » | A quick restaurant warning » | How I spent my snow day » | Snow Days » | When did I get the point? » | One of Many Downsides to American Exceptionalism » | The Bus People » | "Alas, it is I, a poor girl from the village of Gh... » | Smacznego! » | Research Poem: compound noun, a literary work into... »

Why I love ESL, part 3432685.9

I love new classes. Meeting them for the first time, getting to know each other, scaring them with new vocabulary and grammar on the first day. It's so much fun. Last night was an opportunity to meet my new class at Southeast Community College. On the first night, I like to have people talk to each other then introduce their partner (WWMBD - "What Would Mr. Blake Do?"). Incidentally, this is the first time I've ever taught Colombians (I collect student nationalities like some people collect commemorative flatware; I've had Poland, Ukraine, Georgia, Russia, Bosnia, Belarus, Vietnam, Japan, Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, Sri Lanka, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Mexico, Brazil, Sudan, Congo, South Africa, Ethiopia, Canada, the US, and now Columbia). After introductions, I like to jump in and talk about the vocabulary we need to know in order to learn a language: noun, verb, auxiliary, modal, infinitive, participle, adverb, adjective, pronoun, conjunction, etc. The students usually know the basic ones, but it still ends up being a bit overwhelming, just as the first day of class should be. At least I'm not as demanding as my Lesen und Aussprach teacher at Bogi, the dapper Herr Felix, who made us memorize the anatomy of the mouth auf Deutsch. By the time we're done discussing subjects, objects, and objects of prepositions, they're usually in desperate need of a break. Last night, our break happened to coincide with the break Elizabeth gave her level four students. These were my students from last semester, and I was secretly elated when they wanted to talk to me. It's not like I have control over their grades anymore, they just like me. It's a good feeling, this being liked. I love old classes. As I talked to Francisco from last semester, some of my new students kept glancing over, wondering who this person was who talked to the teacher like they're old friends. They just don't realize that in another three months, we'll be old friends too.

It seems that collecting student nationalities would also be a form of symbolic violence.....or does that only count for birds?

The colors are ucky, brown with yellowish and red lettering, but it is the picture that I mostly wish you would change. I have some really cute ones. Want them? Mum

This being liked is an interesting thing. There are people who will stop an nothing to feel that "being liked" feeling. Yet, what I crave the most is "being liked by God".

I'd LOVE to see the pictures your mom is willing to donate to your cause. I bet she has some very cute ones.

Today I said something to my class, and they -all- laughed in a hearty and pleasantly amused manner, as though they liked me, and it actually caught me completely by surprise. Maybe it was because I'd been up late grading, too.

Post a Comment