« Home | The convergence of divergent strands. » | Scenarios for the demise of Serhiy » | The nickle scheme worked. » | The big news. » | Dear Blog, » | Metablog blogging » | This one's for Angie » | Dear Blog, » | Why I love ESL, part 3432685.9 » | My newfound dislike for CRTs »

The decline of chivalry and the service industry.

This evening as I was leaving the Senior Center where I teach my class ESL class, I held the door open for the other teacher and one of her students. As I stood there, two girls walked by and one said with honest amazement in her voice, "Wow, they have a doorman for that place!" She was obviously impressed. Briefly, I considered a career as a doorman--the crisp uniform, greeting everyone with a smile and occasionally getting my palm greased with tips. What a low-stress life that must be. Don't worry, for now I'll keep my day job.

At this moment Scott, I am very proud of you!

you have the posture of a doorman.

and where you wearing your jacket with the epaulettes? remember what i said about wearing it and getting mistaken for either a dead russian tzar or a doorman? i guess i was speaking words of wisdom.

Wow, you actually remembered to open a door. I am sooo impressed. You wrote this just for me, didn't you?
MUM

Post a Comment