« Home | Such sweet sorrow. » | The decline of chivalry and the service industry. » | The convergence of divergent strands. » | Scenarios for the demise of Serhiy » | The nickle scheme worked. » | The big news. » | Dear Blog, » | Metablog blogging » | This one's for Angie » | Dear Blog, »

I've been workin' on the homepage, all the live-long day.

I'd like some advice. I've been doing minor surgery to the Ucollege.edu homepage the last couple days. I can't do anything major like change the colors or much of the design, but I have done small things like add flags to foreign language content, add a search bar (which IE, Firefox, and Safari all insist on positioning differently), and moved the news. What do you think of it? Can you think of a better way to deal with the news? Do you have any suggestions for small but useful changes?

I see two possible improvements.
1. The top menubar ( "Academics", "Admissions", usw. ) might look better if the background of the whole cell changed onMouseOver instead of just the background of the text.
2. The list of four new items or news items should have a header (probably same font size, but bolded with either an HR or a border attribute under it) denoting what the list really is.

The trouble with the top menu bar is because you're not using IE. In IE the whole background changes. In Firefox and Opera it doesn't. So, there's a deeper issue here.

I noticed and appreciated the changes you made, Scott. I especially enjoyed the flags. And the search bar is a good idea. I have no real problem with its placement, but I wonder where you were meaning it to be placed and where it's been placed instead.

As for the news list, I agree that it should have a header. Then i might like it where it's placed. Right now it feels kinda random. Just sitting there, all unlabeled and stuff.

Good job and good luck!

It looks like the javascript, and HTML need some (a lot) clean up. Take a look at the javascript debugger in firefox, and run it through a validator. The menubar backgrounds are probably borked in firefox and opera because a non-standard HTML 'background' attribute is being used instead of a CSS 'background' attribute.

Post a Comment