« Home | The decline of chivalry and the service industry. » | The convergence of divergent strands. » | Scenarios for the demise of Serhiy » | The nickle scheme worked. » | The big news. » | Dear Blog, » | Metablog blogging » | This one's for Angie » | Dear Blog, » | Why I love ESL, part 3432685.9 »

Such sweet sorrow.

I taught my last class at Southeast tonight. I'm going to miss it. The hardest part of it though is the single-sphere friends. Most of my students have been fascinating people and we grow close, share genuine affection, and then part to perhaps wave uncomfortably from across the street at some later date. At least at Union the faculty have 4-6 years to spend with the students; Southeast feels like a much more pedagogical one-night stand. Tonight we had a little party thing. Everyone brought way too much food. One of my Adventist students brought chips and papousas. When one of the other students saw the chips, she exclaimed, "I made these!" She works at a tortilla chip factory, so even the store bought food had a personal touch.