« Home | Fat pants » | Ich bin kranky » | Fantastic technology. » | I've been workin' on the homepage, all the live-lo... » | Such sweet sorrow. » | The decline of chivalry and the service industry. » | The convergence of divergent strands. » | Scenarios for the demise of Serhiy » | The nickle scheme worked. » | The big news. »

Он ядовйто усмехнусля

This morning I caught myself rejoicing in the suffering of a Fox News anchor. Shame on me. I'd been flipping through channels while eating a breakfast of stuffing and wretched mashed potatoes and heard a Russian name. Naturally I stopped to watch, not realizing until too late that I'd landed on Fox News.


The anchor (who will remain nameless since, well, I just can't be asked to care) was interviewing Mark Brzezinski about the deaths of Alexandr Litvinenko and Anna Politkovskaya. Many Slavic names were being tossed about and regardless of how many times he said them or heard Brzezinski pronounce them correctly, the anchor could just not get the names out without adding extra sounds, pausing awkwardly in the middle or forgetting whole sections of the name. He was obviously getting a bit flustered by the nation-wide display linguistic incompetence, but was trying to hide his frustration.


It was a joy to behold, especially because he was being a control freak about the interview and yet this one thing remained out of his control.


Next time a top story of the day includes "difficult" foreign names or just unavoidable "big" words, Fox will definitely be my news source of choice. Why do I delight so in the miserableness and misery of others?


Regarding the content of the news story, I think finding Polonium 120 in Litvinenko's system clears up the mystery. It wasn't Putin or his cronies, it was obviously the Polish nationalist, Marie Curie.


Also, before starting the process of making mashed potatoes, check and make sure you actually own a potato masher.


Serhiy quote du jour: (Pointing at red lines left on his arm and chest from sleeping on bunched-up sheets) "I want a tattoo like this."

Labels: , ,

You're blogging again and it thrills my soul.

Post a Comment